RM5,000 aid not enough, say Putra Heights residents left homeless by blaze
2 天前
Putra Heights residents whose homes were damaged by the gas pipeline fire say they need more cash aid than what is being offered by the government, as they attempt to salvage what is left of their belongings and start life anew.
Siti Nur Fatimah Nor Rashidi, 34, who had rented a shoplot in Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru, lost both home and workplace in the blaze.
"I made a living by selling frozen food from this shoplot," she told MalaysiaNow.
"I lost all of my equipment including seven freezers. I really need the government to help by giving me somewhere to stay, or to restart my business so that I can continue raising my three children."
For now, Siti Nur Fatimah is taking shelter along with hundreds of others at the Putra Heights Mosque relief centre.
She and her husband had relied on their monthly income of RM5,000 to RM6,000. They put their losses so far at about RM100,000.
The fire, which broke out on April 1, affected over 500 residents, damaging houses, property and vehicles in the area.
Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim announced immediate aid of RM5,000 for homeowners whose houses were severely damaged and RM2,500 for those who were not as badly affected.
Puchong MP Yeo Bee Yin meanwhile announced aid of RM1,000 for each household in Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru and Kampung Tengah.
On social media, though, many questioned how far the amount would go in helping families who had lost nearly everything.
Nabila Johar, a descendant of the pioneer settlers at Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru, said the government should come up with a mechanism for assistance.
"So far, the government has taken down details but we don't know how the aid will be channelled," she said.
"The government needs to speed things up because we want to get our lives back as quickly as possible."
She added that the aid was only enough for basic necessities, not to rent a new home.
Nabila's family had owned 11 units on land belonging to her mother. Of these, they had rented out 10.
Noting that Anwar had only mentioned home owners, she said the government should provide aid for tenants and owners alike.
"What about those who had rented their homes?" she said. "They need assistance as well."
Nor Salawati Zakaria, 42, agreed that tenants should also be given government aid.
"We don't know anything about the aid right now. We hope that tenants will not be left out. In the village areas, the majority of residents had only rented their homes."
...Read the fullstory
It's better on the More. News app
✅ It’s fast
✅ It’s easy to use
✅ It’s free